- Is the site topically relevant to my content?
- Is the design and organization clean and professional?
- What’s the quality of the content that it publishes?
- Is the site overrun with advertising?
- Does the site have an active community, as evidenced by comments, social media engagement, and mentions?
- What does their incoming link profile look like?
- Is there a clear editorial hand at work developing and selecting content?
- Would I be comfortable associating my brand with this site?
How to Assess the Quality of a Link
Google’s Penguin update underscored the importance of the quality of your links. Nothing can damage your site’s credibility and rankings faster than sketchy links. As a result, it’s critical to assess the quality of a potential link if you’re working to cultivate those connections. Here’s a quick guide of questions to ask before actively pursuing a link to your site: